What is Shilajit?
Shilajit or Shilajeet or Mumijo is probably one of the most unique & mysterious substances known to man and found on earth. Around 50 million years ago when the Indian subcontinent collided with Asia and form the Himalayas, mountains were formed, fossilized forests formed which generated this highly nutrient- and mineral-rich biomass loaded with medicinal humic and fulvic acids.
During the summers, when the mountains are warmed, this biomass oozes out of the deep mountain crevasses. The resin that oozes out is known as Shilajit, or as it is known in English – Asphaltum or mineral pitch. It is also called as Mumie or Mumijo in some countries.
Shilajit is generally used in Ayurvedic medicine. It’s an effective and safe supplement that can have a positive effect on your overall health and well-being. It has the ability to give surprising strength, anti-aging benefits and boost mood.
Key components found in shilajit are DBPs (dibenzo alpha pyrones), fulvic and humic acids.
Here are the 10 Health Benefits of Shilajit:
- Anti-aging agent: The Shilajit stimulates an enzyme called CoQ10 which boosts the mitochondrial organelles energy and makes it bioavailable for energy production. This process is to be liable to drastically reduce with advancing age. In our body, the mitochondria organelles manufacture 95% of the cellular energy needed for muscle strength, hormone production, etc. Fulvic acid found in Shilajit, a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, it may also protect against free radicals and cellular damage and may contribute to longevity.
- Blood purifier: This unique ingredient has the qualities of improving blood circulation, helpful in the symptoms of anemia. Shilajit helps flush out toxins from the body. Thus is develops blood quality and purify the blood.
- Arthritis relief: Ingredients found in Shilajit have anti-inflammatory properties that help in treating inflamed joints, get relief from swollen joints and increases bone density.
- Sexual Health Booster: Shilajit is rich in more than 85 minerals and elements, which helps male & female sexual health, it is used to cure in all kind of sexual problems in male as well as in female. It builds stamina and libido.
- Diabetes control: Shilajit has the ability to boost up the secretion of hormone insulin as it improves the functioning of the pancreas. So ultimately it helps sugars to not to accumulate in the bloodstream and it helps reduce blood sugar level.
- Heart health: Shilajit may also improve heart health. It purified the blood, healthy blood helps the healthy heart.
- Energy booster: Shilajit enhance the production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP is the body’s primary source of fuel. With age, production of ATP goes down in the human body and Shilajit works wonders to increase ATP.
- Mental disorders: Shilajit is also believed in curing cognitive disorders and is great for Alzheimer’s patient.
- Stress reliever: Shilajit is proven to be a relaxing agent to help you effectively deal with stress & anxiety. It gets rid of depression and other issues related to stress. It opens up blocked chakras (energy centers) to bring about spiritual enlightenment as well.
- Weight loss: Shilajit; regular consumption helps in burning fat and increasing metabolism hence helps to lose weight.
Shilajit side effects
Although this herb is natural and safe, it always is used in the Purified form or Extracts powder form. Raw shilajit may contain heavy metal ions, free radicals and other contamination that can harm your body. Don’t take shilajit if you are on any medication. Or if you are too allergic. Stop taking it if you develop the rash, increased heart rate, or dizziness.
HOW TO USE IT
Shilajit is available in Purified thick paste, liquid and powder forms.
Thick Paste & Liquid form dosage: Dissolve a portion the size of a grain of pea size in liquid(preferably milk) and drink one to two times a day (depending on instructions)(recommended at night).
Shilajit powder dosage: Powder can be taken twice a day with milk. The recommended dose of shilajit is 300 to 500 mg per day but it depends on the concentration of Shilajit extract powder as it is available in 10% to 50% fulvic acid concentration. Please consult with your doctor before taking shilajit.