Asafoetida Essential Oil
Asafoetida is a perennial herb (1 to 1.5 m high). The species is native to the mountains of Afghanistan, and is mainly cultivated in nearby India. Botanical Name of Asafoetida oil is Ferula assa-foetida of Apiaceae (Umbelliferae) family.
Uses & Benefits:
- Asafoetida Essential Oil is used to treat chronic bronchitis and asthma, whooping cough (pertussis), croup, and hoarseness.
- It has also been used for digestive problems notably gas, and irritable bowel syndrome, and irritable colon.
- It has been traditionally used as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
- Asafoetida has been used for hysteria, insanity and convulsions, as well as to treat the debilitating fatigue and depression associated with neurasthenia.
- Asafoetida has also been successful in treating secondary amenorrhea, or abnormal cessation of periods.
Asafoetida Oil Specification:
Botanical Name: Ferula Asafoetida
Common name: Hing Oil, Heeng Oil, Devil’s Dung and Food of the Gods
Mode of Extraction: Steam distillation
Parts Used: Resin
Note Classification: Top
Appearance: Pale yellow to dak yellow
Organoleptic Properties: Pungent, unpleasant smell
Refractive Index at 20 °C: 1.510 – 1.525
Specific Gravity at 20 °C: 0.940 – 0.980
Solubility: Insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol and oils
Storage: Well closed in air tight containers away from sunlight and heat preferably in amber color glass containers.
Blends with: Garlic, Onion, Basil, Bay, Caraway, and Cardamom
Constituents: Asaresinotannols ‘A’ and ‘B’, ferulic acid, umbelliferone